Jim Finkelstein and Mary Gavin, authors of Fuse: Making Sense of the New Cogenerational Workplace put this list together over the many years they’ve been in the consulting business. They have found that these myths – shared by all generations – cause most workplace misunderstandings and career catastrophes. I thought that you might enjoy reading the list. They are ordered by how frequently we experience their fallout in our work, from least to most.
12. You have to like your job to be happy.
11. The glass ceiling doesn’t exist any more.
10. The hardest workers get promoted.
9. Everyone has sex with co-workers.
8. Office politics is about backstabbing.
7. Do good work and you’ll do fine.
6. A great résumé will get you hired.
5. It’s better to emulate Donald Trump than to be yourself.
4. Millennials don’t work for the money but for the fulfilment.
3. E-mail is always the most efficient communication method.
2. The generation gap between Boomer bosses and Millennial workers hampers productivity and the pursuit of workplace happiness.
1. You can have it all.
So what do Finkelstein and Gavin suggest?
The most likable people get promoted, not the hardest workers.
Broadcast the work you’re doing, especially to your managers.
Be yourself. Really.
Without visual and auditory cues, people often misinterpret an email’s intent and message.
You cannot have it all. You can have the things you want most only intermittently.
To read the complete article featured by the Globe and Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/career-advice/careers-book-excerpts/top-12-workplace-myths-misunderstood-by-all-generations/article2214071/page1/
Want to learn more? Sign up for our monthly newsletter where we will explore spirit at work and its contributing factors in more detail. Read the book Rethinking Your Work and learn how to create spirit at work.
Val Kinjerski, PhD, is a leading authority in the field of employee engagement and on the topic of “spirit at work.” A consultant, agent of change and inspirational speaker, she helps renew employee wellness and increase performance and retention by reigniting employees’ love for their work. Check out her Spirit at Work Program and Inspired Leadership training at www.kaizensolutions.org. Val is the author of Rethinking Your Work and Rethinking Your Work Guidebook. Available now at www.rethinkingyourwork.com.